Birch Elementary understands it is our responsibility to ensure the safety of our students. In order to do that, the school screens all regular volunteers. There are two ways to be screened.
1. YEARLY SCREENING: Birch participates in a background screening program for regularly scheduled volunteers as part of the approval process for volunteering in school activities and events. This type screening is mandatory and must be done yearly. Cost is $17. For more information on yearly screening, see the FAQs below.
2. ONE-TIME-ONLY SCREENING: In lieu of an annual screening, adult volunteers may submit a fingerprint card (can be obtained at the local police station) along with a check made out to BVSD for $40. The fingerprint card will be submitted to the Colorado Department of Investigations for processing. Fingerpint clearance is on-going and would only need to be completed once. Fingerprint clearance can take up to 12 weeks, and you will be notified via email when your background has been cleared.
According to Broomfield.org, the Court Security Unit offers fingerprinting to Broomfield citizens Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Mondays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. There is no charge for this service to Broomfield residents. Proof of residency is required. For questions regarding fingerprinting, call 303-464-5722.
Yearly Screening FAQs
Where do I go to complete the background screening?
Adults requesting to be considered regular volunteers in Boulder Valley School District (BVSD) must complete an online background screening at the following website: www.tclogiq.com/bvsdv
Is this a credit check?
No. The information obtained from the background screening will be used for the sole purpose of determining eligibility of volunteering in Boulder Valley School District. Any information obtained will remain confidential and will be viewed only by the BVSD Human Resources Department.
How do I know which background check is required?
Volunteers required to drive for activity/field trip or any other activity should complete the screening that costs $22.50. This cost includes a regular volunteer background screening as well as a motor vehicle background screening.
The cost of a regular (no driving required) screening is $17. The background screening program includes, but is not limited to, those who help in the following activities:
- Volunteers with a regular schedule in the school (classroom, health room, playground, cafeteria, library, greeters)
- Activity/Club mentor, volunteer or chaperone
- TAG (Talented and Gifted) mentor, volunteer or chaperone
- Overnight trip chaperone
- At-Home (Student Contact) (ex. host of team dinner, building parade float)
- Volunteer coach (interscholastic or intramural)
- Volunteer attending field trip off school site
Occasional volunteers will not be required to complete the online background screening program. The school staff will conduct a minimal background screening for those individuals as appropriate. This category includes, but is not limited to, those who help in the following activitiest:
- Crossing guard
- Occasional volunteer (ex. classroom party, school/community event)
- School-sponsored events (ex. career fairs, book fairs, after-prom, science fairs, school dances, guest speakers, field day, registrations)
- Projects w/little or only incidental contact w/students (ex. fundraisers, boosters, concession stands, scorekeepers)
- School Accountability Committees/School Improvement Teams, the District Accountability Committee, District Parent Council, PTOs, PTAs, and PEN participants
What if I volunteer at multiple BVSD schools?
Once a volunteer is approved through the online screening program, he/she will be approved to volunteer at any (non-charter) school within BVSD during that school year.